Ukrainian officials have confirmed that, at the request of U.S. Vice President JD Vance late last month, Ukraine has ceased large-scale drone strikes targeting tankers heading to a key Black Sea port. Kyiv had been persistently attacking vessels carrying Kazakh crude oil, which is transported via pipeline to the Caspian Pipeline Consortium (CPC) terminal at Russia's Novorossiysk port. The U.S. side grew alarmed, judging that such strikes would further disrupt oil markets and harm American business interests.
Ukrainian officials and sources familiar with the matter stated that during a July 31 phone call, Vance urged President Volodymyr Zelensky to halt the attacks. Since that conversation, an analysis of Ukrainian officials' statements and open-source data by media outlets shows no further strikes on tankers near the CPC terminal. Ukrainian officials said Kyiv has agreed not to attack CPC infrastructure or non-Russian vessels, provided they are not on Ukraine's sanctions list and are not carrying Russian crude or other Russian cargo.
A senior Ukrainian official remarked, "We take the opinions of our American partners very seriously," adding that Kyiv has established a mechanism in response to the U.S. request. The official noted that the CPC issue "has been a regular topic of discussion between Ukraine, the U.S., and the Kazakh government." While refraining from targeting CPC facilities, Ukrainian missiles and drones did strike a Russian naval base in Novorossiysk earlier this Wednesday. Zelensky described it as "the last significant stronghold of the Russian fleet in the Black Sea." Zelensky stated, "Our 'Palianytsia' jet drones, 'Neptune' missiles, and unmanned boat systems successfully hit their intended targets." He added, "Air defense positions, docks, and seaport infrastructure were confirmed to be struck," while releasing a video showing Russian air defense systems attempting to intercept Ukrainian weapons.
U.S. energy giants Chevron and Exxon Mobil both hold stakes in the CPC, which is the primary export route for Kazakh crude. The two companies also have holdings in western Kazakhstan oil fields that supply the pipeline. Chevron owns a 50% stake in the country's largest oil field, Tengiz, while Exxon Mobil holds a 25% stake. A U.S. official confirmed that the current administration has warned Ukraine against attacking non-Russian vessels and CPC-related infrastructure in the Black Sea. The official said, "The U.S. believes the CPC is a critical channel for delivering Kazakh energy to European markets, serving as an alternative to Russian energy supplies." The official added that Washington has "reaffirmed" Kyiv's commitment to avoid striking CPC infrastructure and non-Russian ships heading to the Novorossiysk terminal, provided those vessels are not under Ukrainian sanctions. Offices for Vance, Zelensky, and the Kazakh Foreign Ministry did not respond to requests for comment; the CPC, Chevron, and Exxon Mobil all declined to comment.
This is not the first time U.S. officials have sought to dissuade Ukraine from striking American commercial interests operating in Russia. In February, former Ukrainian Ambassador to the U.S. Olga Stefanyshyna stated that after a Ukrainian drone attack on Novorossiysk port late last year, she received a diplomatic démarche from the U.S. State Department—a formal document used to express opposition. Ukraine's strikes on the CPC terminal last month, combined with ongoing attacks on Russian shipping in the Sea of Azov, caused market turmoil. Kazakhstan was forced to repeatedly suspend crude shipments to Novorossiysk, and shipping freight rates and insurance premiums more than doubled. Data from energy flow tracker Kpler shows that CPC crude loadings in July fell to 1.3 million barrels per day, down 300,000 bpd from June and 600,000 bpd from May. Kazakh crude has become increasingly significant to global markets as Iranian conflicts constrain supply and Middle East supplies face pressure.
On July 17, a tanker chartered by Exxon Mobil was damaged in an attack while waiting to load at the CPC terminal. Chevron CEO Mike Wirth said last month that the company was coordinating with the U.S. and other governments to ensure the pipeline remains operational. Within the Trump administration's handling of the Russia-Ukraine conflict, Vance is one of the most influential and often controversial figures. During their first Oval Office meeting in February 2025, he publicly rebuked Zelensky, drawing widespread attention. Earlier this year, Vance stated that halting military aid to Kyiv was "one of the proudest achievements of this administration." A source familiar with Kyiv's stance said that Ukraine agreed to the Trump administration's demand in hopes of securing a license to produce U.S. Patriot interceptor missiles. Kyiv also plans to purchase hundreds of these missiles before winter, anticipating intensified Russian aerial strikes on critical infrastructure. The Ukrainian presidential office said Zelensky told Vance during the July 31 call that Patriot air defense systems are Kyiv's "top priority."
Ukraine has intensified strikes on other Russian energy infrastructure, hitting three inland refineries this month. These attacks have taken significant Russian refining capacity offline, forcing Moscow to suspend some fuel exports and putting pressure on global diesel and gasoline prices.